UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) provides advice to international students at universities or colleges in the UK. They have a telephone helpline (but note that this line is often busy, so try to contact the international student adviser or welfare officer in the first instance). UKCISA produce a range of helpful guidance notes which you can access from the page:

[before August 2007 UKCISA was known as UKCOSA]