If you are studying in the UK for longer than 6 months, you should be able to open a bank account. If you are in the UK for less than 6 months then you need to plan how to access your funds. Opening a bank account can sometimes be done on the same day or might take up to a week. The required documents to open bank account are:

  • Passport
  • Confirmation letter from the college

The social organizer at BCC will help you to open your bank account
You should make sure that you bring enough money to cover your expenses for the first few weeks in the UK. Please do not carry large amounts of cash with you or keep large sums in your room.

Working in Bournemouth (Finding a part-time job)

If you are an EEA or Swiss national you are free to take a job in the UK without having to obtain permission. Most other international English course attendees (as long as you are on a course of more than 6 months) will be able to work part time (maximum 20 hours per week during term-time). Your visa or a stamp on your passport will give more information. There is a variety of part-time work available .Most students work in bars, restaurants, shops and supermarkets if they need to earn extra money and practise their English. It should be noted that work must not interfere with your attendance at the college on a regular and punctual basis. Your employer’s work schedules are no excuse for poor or late attendance in classes.